Partners & Sponsors

Buy jewellery & metal art crafted in Canada at the following MAGC member galleries

COPYRIGHT 2015

Legal Notices

Copyright & Trademark Notices

All materials on this Website (the "Site"), and the Site itself are protected by copyrights, trademarks and/or other intellectual property rights. These materials are owned by The Metal Arts Guild of Canada ("MAGC") or by the artists who created these materials. View Full Copyright Notice or this network's Terms of Service

FOLLOW US!

Follow MAG on Twitter Follow MAG on Facebook

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Forum

Safety Requirements

Started by Natasha Burns in Questions? Dec 8, 2017.

getting up close with stone setting

Started by aidan stanley in Resources Oct 18, 2017.

NEED AN INSTRUCTOR

Started by Gregory Charles in Classifieds Aug 25, 2017.

Photos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Adam patelov is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
22 hours ago
Thomas Dekard updated their profile
Wednesday
Thomas Dekard is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Wednesday
Verna Clayton updated their profile
Tuesday
Verna Clayton is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Tuesday
Rain Kazymerchyk posted photos
Monday
Rain Kazymerchyk updated their profile
Monday
Elijah Hoffman updated their profile
Feb 15
Elijah Hoffman is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Feb 15
Johanne Rousseau is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Feb 11
Linda Nairn is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Feb 10
Harold N. Stern updated their profile
Feb 6
Harold N. Stern is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Feb 6
Holly Atkinson updated their profile
Feb 4
Holly Atkinson posted a status
"New studio in Guelph 2018"
Feb 4
Caleb Witvoet updated their profile
Jan 31
Karen Van Buskirk is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Jan 27
Kimberly Kropf is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Jan 25
Caleb Witvoet is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Jan 16
precious romeo is now a member of Metal Arts Guild of Canada
Jan 11

Blog Posts

Groups

Some great links to get you started on photographing your work.

If you have never really photographed anything before and want to learn as much as you can about digital photography then this is the site for you. It delves into cameras and equipment, as well as photography tutorials. digital-photography-school

A fantastic DIY lightbox can be made using the irreverant instructions from Strobist. This blog has everything you ever needed to know about on the cheap lighting that produces incredible results
welcome-to-strobist

Tabletop Studio has a great site with instructions on how to shoot jewellery. You can also buy complete kits to get started shooting small items. I should know, I have purchased one of them! Tabletop studio

If anyone has found other great sites please list them for us!

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting those tips, i really need to build a lightbox!

Thought i'd add a little more info about photography,

To those of you who are in the market for purchasing a new camera - DP Review is a wonderful site. www.dpreview.com

It combines the thoroughness required to satisfy any professional photographer and simplicity to help the average artist make the right choice. I take my photos with a little point and shoot Panasonic Lumix DMC FX 33. It works great in the studio and on the road. I've used a couple of Panasonic Lumix DMC's and i would strongly recommend them to anyone who needs versatility. Cannon's are good as well (but much more money) and so are nikons (but i find them to be slow and not macro friendly). What do you use?

Some things you should look for when buying a camera for small object photography:

MACRO Capability (must be at least 10cm, 5cm is better and 3cm is fantastic)
White balance (must have custom setting so that your work doesn't look yellow or blue)
Exposure Compensation or Bracketing (so you can over/under expose your image)

Before buying a camera, go into a store and give it a test drive. Bring a SD card and do some experiments - take photos of your keys, your fingernails and coins to check macro. Do this with a couple different cameras, trying to recreate the identical shot each time. Try manual white balancing under mixed light (halogen/fluorescent and daylight). Then thank the store clerk and view the images on a computer -do not trust the LCD screen on the back of the camera! (SONY- Cybershots look beautiful on the back of the camera but not so hot when printed!) Maybe even have a couple photos printed if you really wish to see what the quality is like.

well that's about it for now, hope you found it helpful.

-alastair
Hello everyone.

In April 2006 I wrote an article for The Lapidary Journal on Gem Photography.
It applies to jewelry photography as well.
The copy of the article with all the relevant images as well as some instruction on making your own light box are posted on my website at: http://www.artisticjewelrydesign.com/news.htm. Just click on the image and it will take you to the article.

Questions are welcome!

Enjoy!

Boris

RSS

© 2018   Created by MAG Tech Support.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service